Sunday, August 12, 2007

"Your hands are full"

As a mom of 4 kids, the oldest being only 5, people love to comment on my situation. It began when I was hugely prego with the twins, and had a 2 year old and 4 year old running around me like wild animals, and hasn't ended yet (and I don't think it will for some years to come!). One of the most common phrases that I hear is, "You sure do have your hands full". Many times this phrase is used in a kind sweet sympathetic way, but more often than not it is used in a subtle way of telling me my kids are out of control and maybe I shouldn't continue breeding until I get them under control. (Being the mom of infant twins, at this moment my hands are literally full especially when I am out with the kids by myself - which is frequent and will be more frequent in the future - and I am carrying 2 infant seats, 2 diaper bags, trying to keep a 2 year old within 12 inches from me and answer a million questions like, "Why doesn't God walk on the moon?" from a very curious 5 year old.) So, I have complied a list of replies that I like to use and some that I am going to start using when assaulted with this obvious observation.
  1. "My hands are full...but so is my heart." (favorite)
  2. "My hands are full...but I'd rather them be full than empty."
  3. "My hands are full...of God's blessings."
  4. "My hands are full...and so is my life."
  5. "My hands are full...of opportunity to change the world."
  6. "My hands are full...of God's grace and mercy."
  7. "My hands are full...of little, cute (and usually dirty) hands."
  8. "My hands are full...of opportunity for God to grow me."
  9. "My hands are full...of laughter and love."
  10. "My hands are full...of opportunity to leave a legacy."
  11. "My hands are full...and I would have it no other way."

My hands are full and so is my heart!

1 comment:

MorningSong said...

I only have 2 and I hear that comment and wonder what to say! I LOVE "My hands are full and so is my heart"! Great post! I will be using that next time. Thanks for sharing this.

Blessings.