Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Stay at home Daddy

I needed to take a nap. So I asked Lovey to watch the babies for me. Pictured to the right is his idea of "watching the babies".

Seriously, what is that?

If only that is the way that I spent my day...

In his defense -because he needs one after this performance- he did, just an hour before, come home from working a 30 hour shift at the hospital.

But then again, I had been working a 30 hour shift taking care of his palace! For that matter I work 24 hours a day 7 days a week. No days off and always on call. At least he gets to eat without having to give up his food to little people who think that my food taste better than their own even though it is the same thing!!! And he gets to go to the bathroom without some little person coming in asking what he's doing. And the best part of all is that he gets adult conversation without having to use the phone and having little people take advantage of him while he is distracted and having to give them whatever they want so that they can talk for a few more minutes.



I guess Lovey decided that instead of hearing my song and dance he would just let me take my nap and "watch the girls" for me. I've always said he is a brilliant man!



*************************************************************


Today was the kids first day of school. They both said that they had fun and liked their new teachers. While they were at school, Lovey and I went on a lunch date! We took The Girlfriends with us and went to a new restaurant we hadn't been to before. Of course taking The Girlfriends anywhere always provides strangers with an opportunity to bombard us with unwanted attention and comments. Today was no different. The manager of the restaurant came to our table. Our conversation went something like this:


RM (for rude manager!): Oh, wow. twins. I feel so bad for you. Mom how are you doing?


ME: Great! It's going really good.


RM: Really? That must be so hard. I'm so sorry for you.


ME: It's not bad at all and we are crazy about the girls.


RM: Well good luck to you. You sure have your hands full.


Can you believe this??!!??!! Seriously. I was shocked, offended and mad! Why do people act like the twins are such a burden? Not even just twins - children in general. I never encountered it when I just had 2 kids, but now that I have 4, I have gotten more negative comments than I can even count about how many children I have. "Two boys & two girls...now you can stop," is a regular comment that I hear. UGH!
Obviously none of these people have heard the saying, "If you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all."
People if you feel so sorry for me don't tell me...do something about it! Send money, buy diapers, hold one of the carriers while I chase baby Bear, pay for college, get me a massage, send me to Tahiti. Or better yet, don't feel sorry for me. I'm blessed beyond measure!
The best part of this whole encounter is that I didn't have the heart to tell this rude lady that I have 2 boys who are 5 & 3 at school. Tehe... I can't imagine what she would have done!

6 comments:

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Yes, I don't usually get into a conversation about the non-present children - it's not worth the effort. I can't believe how rude people are! I would have loved to have twins!

Thanks for introducing yourself to me! I enjoyed getting to know you here. Your life is very full with a med student husband, not to mention four small children! I'm sure you keep telling yourself "It will be worth it!" My husband went to school forever after we were married, and now that the kids are older, I am so glad he's home for all their activities. They don't remember his being gone at all. I have to work on it, but I don't remember the loneliness as much as I used to, either. The memory is a wonderful thing, don't you think?

MorningSong said...

Wow! I do hate how people bash kids before they say another word. Like they are the plague or something! Last time I checked 'Children are a gift from the Lord'! Ahem.. I so hate the kid-haters!!

On a lighter note, the daddy 'watching' is universal! haha It seems the kids are settled and don't try all the neat tricks they use on us moms when dad is present. I think dad being present is an adventure all it's own! It is as though a great big play toy or friend has dropped in for wrestling/punching/rough-housing! Dads do not have the same drole experience as we do but they (at least mine does) admit they could never do what we do all day! On bad days, my husband asks me "Do you think I play around all day?" I say "No, but the fact that you have a door to your office that you can close at any given moment WITHOUT kids banging away on it! That my dear IS a break - whether you realize it or not!" hee hee!

Etta said...

Don't you just LOVE how daddies watch kids? Hee, hee.

That manager was so RUDE! I have to say that I often comment on people with 4+ kids, but not in a "feel sorry for you" kind of way. More in an "I'm in total awe of you" way! In my opinion a mom of 4+ is my hero! Sometimes I don't know how I handle 2! You ARE blessed; don't let those people get you down!

And thanks for visiting!!

Linda said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I really enjoyed this post and the picture is priceless.:)
Blessings

Linda said...

I meant to comment on the hands full statement. I get that all the time. I have 3 boys and when I tell anyone that they always reply. "Wow you have your hands full." It really is a little unnerving but in all reality they are full. Full of blessings that these kiddos bring. I want my hands to be full because one day when my children leave the home I won't be so busy and my hands won't be so full and that is a day I am not looking forward to.

Lanae Brown said...

Hi, I'm the Blom's niece and I wanted to comment about your blog. It's wonderful and you have a beautiful family! I loved this story, because I can only imagine how some people treat you because you have 4 children. Although, you should have told that manager that you also have the boys, maybe your lunch would have been free! Thanks again for the blogging, you are an inspiration to Christian Mommas!