Monday, August 13, 2007

Plantar Fasciitis

Plantar what?? That's what I said too. After weeks of foot pain I finally went to the Internet to figure out what I have. And the winner is Plantar Fasciitis. Apparently people who are at risk are:
  1. Those who exercise or play sports - Yeah right...no time for that these days.
  2. Middle aged or older - I guess that could be me since I did turn 30 this past year.
  3. Overweight - CHECK.
  4. Pregnant - hopefully not!
  5. Being on your feet - I have 4 kids, 5 and under, I'm always on my feet!
  6. Flatfooted or have high arches - no idea?!

Okay, so I have all the symptoms and only 1 of the 6 risk factors. Symptoms are:

  1. Sharp pain in the inside part of the bottom of your heel, which may feel like a knife sticking in the bottom of your foot. CHECK! CHECK! CHECK!
  2. Heel pain that tends to be worse with the first few steps after awakening, when climbing stairs or when standing on tiptoe. CHECK!
  3. Heel pain after long periods of standing or after getting up from a seated position. CHECK!
  4. Heel pain after, but not usually during, exercise. CHECK!
  5. Mild swelling in your heel. CHECK!

What do I do to get rid of this pain. It is seriously painful. I am now hobbling around and it hurts to walk. Here are the tips for self-treatment:

  1. Put your feet up and stay off your feet - okay, let's move to the next one since that isn't happening...
  2. Apply ice. Hold a cloth-covered ice pack over the area of pain for 15 to 20 minutes three or four times a day - WHAT?! I don't have time for that! Next one...
  3. Decrease your running/walking miles.
  4. Take up low impact or no impact exercise - We've discussed that above.
  5. Over the counter pain meds. - I really want something stronger!

So there is my dilemma. I did read that this usually resolves itself and can take anywhere between a few months and a couple of years. Lovey is so sick of hearing me whine and just keeps telling me to buy new shoes, don't walk barefoot and take some Motrin. I guess I should listen to him. After all, he is almost a doctor!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so sorry! I have some foot issues so I'm being honest when I say I feel your pain!

I realized that some of my foot pain was from how I was sitting at the computer - without knowing it, I would turn my feet in, resting the outsides on the floor. Once I stopped this awkward position, things seemed to get better.

Oh, and I got me some orthotics from the podiatrist. Bless you, orthotics. Hey, you don't have to be in your 80's to sport the podiatric foot gear.

Alexandra said...

I had it also an it resolved itself with those custom orthotics from the podiatrist and presciption Motrin for two weeks. I didn't like taking that much Motrin, but the doctor said once it flares it doesn't settle easily. The Motrin kicked it out.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I like yours as well. :)